We had a wonderful day today on our field trip to the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. Among other things, the students investigated properties of matter and phase shifts by performing experiments with dry ice. If you’d like to know what sublimation is, scroll down and follow the link, or better yet, ask your child. Students also explored the conductivity of different materials using a voltmeter and tested to see how quickly heat transferred through different types of metal. The students were very engaged in the experiments and lecture parts of the day and asked a lot of good questions as we went through the program. We also took a tour of The Advanced Light Source and learned some different ways that X-rays are used to study proteins and chemical compositions of different objects. You can check out the ALS website here.
Here are a few questions that you could ask your children to learn more about what they did today. I’ve also included links to answers and some supplemental information. Enjoy
- What is sublimation? Answer
- What is Dry Ice? Answer
- What solid materials and liquids conduct electricity? Find the answer in the workbook notes.
- What temperature Celsius does water boil and freeze? Answer. Some extra info on the history of Celsius.
- What happens to the air in a baloon when it is submersed in Liquid Nitrogen? Video answer
- What is Absolute Zero, and how come we don’t really know it exists for sure? (Instead of just a simple answer, here is a link to a website on the PBS site that supports a Nova episode on Absolute Zero. I’m going to look into getting a copy of the video for the class, but in the mean time, there are some great information and activities on the site.)
On an entirely different subject, I will unforuntately only be at school briefly tomorrow. I will be attending the Lay-off hearings with many other Berkeley teachers who received pink slips that have not yet been rescinded. I will be at school to help with the music for the performance rehearsal in the morning, but will then be leaving. I wish I didn’t have to miss school for this, but I have been strongly advised to be present at the hearings, and I want to do whatever I possibly can in order to keep my position at BAM.
- Other: Work on Vocabulary Packet (Due Friday)
- Reading: Read for 20 minutes and fill out pink reading log.